What’s the best option for guests when you have to turn an office or spare room into a guest bedroom? We’d recommend a foldable platform metal bed frame. Yes, it folds up for storage when not in use—great for flex spaces.
In this category, we’d recommend AmazonBasic’s Foldable 14″ metal platform bed frame. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done.
What We Liked
• Platform frame = no need for box spring. So even though platform beds like this cost more than simple frames like the Zinus recommended above, you may save in the long run.
• Easy assembly with no tools required.
• Super simple to set up and take down.
• 13″ of clearance below. There is also a taller option if that is too low.
What Needs Work
• Mattress sometimes slides around on frame. This depends on your mattress, but that is sub-optimal. One suggestion: put a rug (with the rubber side up) under the mattress to keep it in place.
• Can fold up on itself during set up—take care when setting it up.
• Heavier weight than simple frames. But that is true for most platform bed frames, of course.