To find the best mini fridges, we first surveyed our readers to find their favorites. We took these suggestions and then did additional research, pouring over lab test results to find the most reliable models.
We learned that mini fridges fall into two general categories: portable, super mini fridges and larger mini fridges designed to be plugged into a household outlet.
Small, portable models are great for skin care items (makeup and lotions last longer and retain potency when stored at a cool temperature). Portable mini fridges are also super quiet and great for travel: many can be run off the 12 volt outlet in a vehicle.
Larger capacity mini fridges are designed for bedrooms, dorm rooms and office cubicles. They are plugged into an outlet and some even have freezer compartments.
For the best mini fridge for skin care items, we’d recommend AstroA1’s Mini Fridge. Yes, this is a portable model that can be run off a vehicle’s 12 volt outlet or regular household outlet. Its small size is perfect for medications like insulin and breast milk or skin care items. Here’s more:
What We Liked
• Quiet! This fridge is great for bedrooms, as it only reaches about 25 decibels when cycling.
• Excellent to store make-up.
• Cools AND warms. Yes, this fridge can also heat up items to 150 degrees. We’re not sure what you’d be warming up with it, but you can do it!
• Eco-friendly design with no Freon.
What Needs Work
• SMALL capacity. Yes, this fridge has a tiny four liter capacity—that’s about 6 cans of soda. Again, great for a small amount of make-up/skin care jars, medications and breast milk bottles . . . not so good for larger items.
• Only “chills” items 32 degrees below the outside air temperature. That means if a room is 75 degrees, it will only drop the temperature into the low 40’s. That’s great for soda, but not so good for other food items that could spoil. (The general recommendation is to keep these foods at temperatures under 40 degrees).
• Water condensation. Yes, this fridge can sometimes cause water to condense both inside and outside the unit—and that means you have to occasionally clean up this small amount of water.
• Doesn’t get cold enough for some folks. The maker suggests “to achieve the quickest cooling, fill the fridge with beverages which have already been refrigerated.” That’s sub-optimal.