The jury verdict is in: kinetic sand is a hit! Of course, who doesn’t like to play with sand? The problem in the past: sand is a mess.
To the rescue comes “kinetic” or “sensory” sand—sand that has been treated with silicone oil. It stays together, easily molding into shapes and figures. Cool and wet to the touch, it actually isn’t wet at all—that makes clean up much easier.
A quick word on clean up: just because kinetic sand is much less messy than regular sand doesn’t mean it doesn’t require clean up—you may still have to vacuum up stray sand during indoor play.
Our top pick for kinetic sand kit is a three pound kit with its own storage case.
What We Liked
• Great tools, lots of fun. There are a total of eight molds/tools
• Easiest clean up compared to other kits we tested.
• Natural colored sand = no dyes. Colored sand, as you’ll read below, can have issues with dye transfer and staining. This kit has only natural colored sand.
What Needs Work
• Only 3 pounds. That’s not a lot of sand to play with, especially when competitors have six pounds. You may have to buy more sand to make this work.
• Sand is sometimes sticky. Kinetic sand isn’t supposed to stick to your hands, but we noticed in our testing if your hands are sweaty, it can stick.