Yes, generators can be pricey investments—a good one can easily run into the four figures! One thing you quickly learn about owning a generator is that storing it properly is important, so it is ready for that next emergency. A good generator cover should be part of your storage routine. Generators are basically engines . . . and dust, dirt and debris can cause damage. For the best small generator cover, we recommend Porch Shield’s Waterproof Universal Generator Cover. Here’s why:
What We Liked
• Sturdy, 600D polyester fabric.
• Elastic hem cord secures this cover to the generator.
• Water resistant laminated undercoating.
• 3 sizes available. The one recommended in this article is for smaller generators (32″ x 24″ x 24″). That is usually in the 5000 to 10,000 watt range.
• Sealed seams.
• Velcro closure on one end.
What Needs Work
• UV light (from sunlight) can cause fading and cracking after time.
• Not the best choice for windy areas. If you store your generator outside and live in a windy area, this may not be the best choice. We see reports online that some folks had issues with high wind and this cover.