Finding the Best Formula Dispenser: What We Looked For
After comparing and testing six different formula dispensers, we crown the Munchkin Powdered Formula Dispenser Combo Pack as the Best Formula Dispenser.
While formula dispensers may seem like a no brainer, our tests revealed some subtle pros and cons.
The point of a formula dispenser: you can pre-measure powdered infant formula into the three or four compartments of a dispenser and throw it in your diaper bag with some water-filled baby bottles (use purified, demineralized, deionized, or distilled water).
When we tested formula dispensers, we were surprised to find they have some very real differences. Here’s what we looked for:
- Number of compartments. Most have three compartments, but a couple had four or an additional dispenser for a one bottle serving. If you are out for a long day or have twins, four compartments are better than three.
- Ease of use. The lids on all the dispensers we tested were supposed to rotate to direct the spout over each compartment. Some were easier to rotate than others.
- Migration of formula. All the dispensers we tested had some migration of formula from one compartment to another. We looked for dispensers that had the LEAST migration.
- Easy pour. Here’s where the rubber meets the road. Can you get the formula from the dispenser into the baby bottle without banging it around to get the last little bits?
- The least amount of formula sticking to the lid or container. If you’re carefully measuring out formula to make a bottle and some of the formula sticks to the sides it can make a difference in nutrition (and your pocketbook). Some formula dispensers were less sticky than others.
Based on our testing, here are the pros and cons of the Munchkin Powdered Formula Dispenser Combo Pack:
What We Liked
• Best pour. This the only dispenser we tested that didn’t require banging on the bottom like a ketchup bottle–a potential recipe for disaster if you bang too hard. Pretty much all the formula came out in one stream; better than any of the others we tested.
• Easy twist. No problem rotating the top to the next compartment.
• Extra single serving bottle included. If you have twins (and need enough formula for two bottles each) or are going out for a short trip and only need enough formula for one bottle, the extra serving is a nice bonus.
• Great price. This dispenser is competitively priced.
What Needs Work
• Some migration of formula. While it definitely wasn’t a lot of migration, there was some formula from other compartments that moved around. We don’t think it’s enough to be concerned, however.
• Formula sticking to the side/lid. There was more formula that stuck to the lid of the compartment than we’d like, but again, not so much that it is a concern.
• It cannot be sterilized. Like most formula dispensers, the Munchkin cannot be sterilized or it will melt. Yes, you can wash it in the upper rack of your dishwasher.