Yes, this is a toasted sesame oil, but we call this the best lighter sesame oil because it isn’t as dark and smokey (in flavor and appearance) as other toasted sesame oils we tested. It is best in dishes where a lighter touch of sesame is preferred. It is fragrant, but more in floral than nutty notes.
What We Liked
• Lighter flavor profile great for chicken stir fry.
• No GMO’s.
• Made by California-based company.
• Moderate smoke point = good for sautéing.
What Needs Work
• Product of Japan . . . and Mexico? Oddly, this sesame oil appears to be a blend of both Mexican and Japanese oils. There’s nothing wrong with either Mexican or Japanese sesame seeds, but most sesame oils we tested are sourced from the same region. On the plus side, the blend gives this sesame its lighter profile.
• Not the best choice if you want bold sesame flavor.