If you walk your dog at night (or cycle to and from work), reflective clothing is an important piece of safety gear.
And there is good news: technological breakthroughs with reflective fabric enable night walkers or riders much more visible than in the past.
Example: 3M’s Scotchlite fabric reflects light back to its source—making you more visible to an oncoming vehicle. How visible? Here’s a picture of one of the jackets we tried for this article, lit only by a phone camera flash:
(Yes, that picture is out of focus—that’s what the reflected light does to the camera. Bonus: if you are a celebrity, you can outwit the paparazzi!)
That jacket is our pick for the best reflective windbreaker: 3M’s Super Bright Reflective Jack by TR. Very effective at reflecting light, at a price that is easy on the wallet.
What We Liked
• Excellent reflection! The entire jacket is reflective, not just a strip or band.
• Elastic at wrists keeps water out.
What Needs Work
• No ventilation—this coat is great for winter, but without ventilation, it would be too warm in spring/fall for some folks.
• Arms are a bit tight.
• Pockets could be deeper. And oddly, the front chest pocket is just for show.
• Zipper could be improved. It’s ok, but a better quality zipper would be more helpful.
• Great at night, not so much during daylight. If you need a visible coat that works both day and night, we’d suggest this next pick,