Propane fire pits come in two basic varieties: those designed to be portable for travel (or apartments). And semi-stationary fire “tables” that also double as a coffee table.
In between these two types are fire “bowls”—they aren’t designed as coffee tables, but more as decorative additions to a patio or deck.
For the best portable propane fire pit, we’d recommend Outland model 893. Our readers who’ve used this pit have been happy with its overall performance and ease of use.
What We Liked
• Small yet powerful—this compact fire bowl has 58,000 BTU—that puts out quite a good amount of heat!
• Easy to transport.
• Excellent build quality.
• May be used even during campfire bans (check first!).
• Includes cover and carry kit. FYI: A carry bag is an extra purchase.
• Optional accessory can covert it to natural gas. That’s great if you plan a more permanent install on a deck or patio.
• Includes lava rock.
• 10 foot hose is pre-attached.
What Needs Work
• No auto ignition. Yes, you must manually light this fire pit with each use.
• Burns quite a bit of propane.
• Higher flames? Some folks are disappointed that the flames aren’t higher for this fire pit. We see that point, but think the flames are high enough for most uses!