Mosquitos love standing water. That’s where they lay their eggs . . . and create the next crop of mosquitoes to invade your patio.
Is there standing water in your backyard . . . say in numerous potted plants? Or do you have a swampy or marshy area of your property?
After researching various solutions for this mosquito challenge, we’d recommend a larvicide. And the best larvicide is Summit Responsible Solutions Mosquito Bits, in our opinion.
Before you buy this product, there is an important caveat: you have to understand HOW larvicide works. It kills mosquito larvae . . . . not adult mosquitoes. When you kill the larvae, you stop the creation of more mosquitos.
Here’s why we like Mosquito Bits:
What We Liked
• Excellent in planter dishes or outdoor ponds, puddles.
• Ingredients are corn cob granules coated with BTI. What’s that? It’s a naturally occurring bacterium found in soils.
• Also works on gnat and black fly larvae.
• Kills larvae within 24 hours.
What Needs Work
• Smell is unpleasant. If you use it outside, however, this goes away quickly.
• Can cause mold to grow when used on plants for fungus gnat larvae—to avoid this problem, mix the Mosquito Bits into the soil.
• Not for use with herbs or vegetables.
• Must be careful during application. It should be applied with gloves and mask—it shouldn’t touch hands or skin. This product is harmful if inhaled or comes in contact with skin.