What are the best hot glue sticks?
Shopping for hot glue sticks can be confusing—there are two basic sizes (mini and full-size), so that is easy enough.
Then you have to consider what temperature glue you need: low temp, high temp or dual temp glue (yes, the latter works with either temperature).
Most glue guns are dual temperature, so they can work with all the recommendations in this article. However, if you have a high-temp only gun, you can save some money by just getting high temp glue sticks (which are less expensive than dual temp sticks).
Low temperature glue works well for delicate craft projects that involve fabric, foam or floral materials.
Higher temperature glue is designed for tougher materials: stone, glass, metal and the like.
There will be a quiz on this next Tuesday.
For the best full-size hot glue sticks, we’d recommend Gorilla’s Hot Glue Sticks (3034518). Yes, these are dual temperature glue sticks designed for full-size guns (if you need mini glue sticks, see later in this article for a recommendation).
What We Liked
• Sticks well to smooth plastic, glass or metal.
• Works well even in other brand glue guns.
• Safe for either high or low temp crafting.
• Sandable and paintable.
• Bag is resealable.
• Weather resistant.
What Needs Work
• Doesn’t dry clear. The glue is opaque when dried. That didn’t bother us, but we know some folks who do jewelry projects may find this to be a deal killer.
• Small 4″ sticks may be too small for larger projects.