A rod-style dehumidifier must be plugged in to work—it works by slightly heating the air in an enclosed space (like a safe). We tried a couple of plug-in dehumidifiers and thought LOCKDOWN’s 18″ GoldenRod was the best of the bunch.
What We Liked
• Six food cord that can be fished out the back of a safe.
• Different sizes available—the one we recommend in this article is 18″, but there are also 12″ and 24″ lengths available for different size safes.
• Thin size fits into small spaces.
• Made in USA.
• Easy to install.
What Needs Work
• Doesn’t actually remove water from air. This is true for all rod dehumidifiers—they just stabilize and warm the air in a safe or other enclosed space. This slightly dries out the air and prevents overly humid air.
• May work best with a dessicant humidifier. Which is an extra expense.
• Hot to the touch. The rod heats up to 115 to 120 degrees.
• Probably not the best choice for closets. This rod humidifier should not touch clothes in a closet or items in safe.