Weighted blankets have been all the rage for adults and blanket makers are now rolling out versions for kids. And the popularity of weighted blankets is no surprise—who doesn’t like a big hug or snug feeling?
We purchased several blankets for kids and tested them on actual kids, for both sleep and reading/relaxing. Which ones were most comfortable? Easiest to care for? Had the best design that kept the weight evenly distributed? We came up with these picks, divided into good, better and best bets.
Remember it is important to correctly size the blanket for your child—typically, you divide the child’s weight by 10 and add a pound. Hence, a 60 pounds child should use a 7 lb. weighted blanket.
For a good pick, we liked the Hiseeme Weighted Blanket for Kids. Here’s why:
What We Liked
• 100% cotton fabric. This blanket won over our testers with its softness.
• Quiet. Some weighted blankets have fill that can be quite noisy; this one is silent as a mouse.
• Eco-friendly. The fabric is OEKO-TEX certified to be more environmentally friendly.
• Small squares keep weight evenly distributed. We liked the 4×4 panels that keep the fill from bunching up in one area of the blanket.
What Needs Work
• Dry clean or hand wash only. That’s a major negative—and why you should use a duvet cover for this blanket to help keep it clean.
• Duvet cover not included. Other blankets include a duvet cover. So that is an extra expense here.