The best temperature control mug has a simple job—keeping your coffee, tea or hot chocolate from getting cold.
After trying out several of these mugs, we learned there are two basic approaches to this concept: a coaster that heats up the cup, or the cup heats up itself. There’s even a battery-less model that uses the heat from the beverage itself.
How are these mugs helpful? Well, let’s say you are easily distracted . . . putting down your cup of coffee, only to return 5 minutes later and finding it cold.
And there is one caveat to these warmers: for safety reasons, temperature control mugs only heat up a beverage to 120 to 145 degrees (this varies by brand). That’s very warm, but not piping hot. Some folks are disappointed in this—so set your expectations accordingly.
For the first type of temperature control mugs (where a coaster heats up the cup), we’d recommend BestInnKits Smart Coffee mug. And good news: it is also budget-friendly.
What We Liked
• Warms liquid to 131 degrees—hot but not too hot!
• Auto on/off: the coaster only activates when a mug is placed on it.
• Easy to clean.
• 14 ounce mug included.
• Indicator light shows when unit is on.
• Can use ANY cup that has a flat bottom.
What Needs Work
• Don’t walk away from your drink. That’s because this cup will continue to heat your beverage . . . and that can damage/stain the cup. This is important to understand: when a cup with liquid is on the coaster, it turns on. When the cup is removed, it turns off. But if the cup stays there, it will continue to heat—that can be an issue if your beverage evaporates.
• Not kid or pet-friendly. We don’t recommend using this temperature control mug if you have young kids or pets (like cats that walk on a counter). That’s because a child or cat may accidentally knock something onto the coaster, turning it on without meaning to. Bottom line: we don’t recommend it for use in households with kids or pets.
• Only one preset temperature. Some folks who’ve used this mug are unhappy that it only heats to 131 degrees—that’s not hot enough for some coffee lovers. If you want a mug that lets you adjust the temperature (up to a toasty 145 degrees), consider our next recommendation.