When looking for ping pong balls, we noticed that many of our readers also realize their paddles need to be replaced as well. If you need an affordable set of paddles + balls, we’d suggest Martin Kilpatrick’s Vortex seat: 2 paddles, 3 balls. Good quality that is perfect for amateurs or beginners.
What We Liked
• Shakehand grip on paddles
• Paddles have rubber with sponge layer = nice rebound.
• Two-star ping pong balls. These aren’t as fancy as three-star balls, but good enough for most amateurs.
What Needs Work
• Rubber pads are too soft for some players. We thought they were fine, but the more spongy rubber may frustrate more advanced table tennis folks!
• Handles are made from composite wood. That didn’t bother us—and that’s common at this price range.