Let’s talk pellet smoker tubes!
These tubes work much the same way: you stuff wood pellets into a stainless steel tube (or tube tray). Once lit, they provide smoke that flavors your BBQ ribs or chicken.
We tried out several top brands of pellet smoker tubes with our regular gas grill. As BBQ enthusiasts, we take our brisket seriously—and smoker tubes help give the meat that “low and slow” goodness.
After trying these tubes out for this article, we have a few general tips to make your BBQ efforts more successful:
- Don’t overfill! Leave about 1″ from the top on the open end.
- Tamp it down! You want to pack the pellets in the tub tightly. Why? That keeps them lit and provides more smoke. The biggest complaint with smoker tubes is they pellets go out . . . and stop smoking! The more compacted the pellets, the less chance of that happening.
- Be patient. Give the pellets in the tube some time to smolder and then set the tube upright for a few minutes (some makers suggest 10 minutes). That helps establish the flame.
- Blow out the flame and then lay down the tube on your grill. Use a bit of aluminium foil on the open end to keep the pellets from falling out.
- Make sure your grill has enough ventilation. Like any fire, the pellets in a smoker tube can be snuffed out without enough oxygen. Some grills have tighter fitting lids than others—if yours is tight, you may need to crack it open slightly to provide air.
Now that you are ready to get grilling, here are our top picks for the best pellet smoker tubes.
If you are looking for a gift for the BBQ enthusiasts in your family. we’d recommend Lanney’s Pellet Smoker Tube. Here’s why:
What We Liked
• Complete set: smoker tube, two hooks, silicone basting brush and cleaning brush. This is great for the first-time or novice BBQ’er in your family
• Easy to use.
• Creates quite a bit of smoke! We thought this tube performed well in our tests.
• Dishwasher safe.
• Six hours of smoke.
• Compact size doesn’t take up much grill space.
What Needs Work
• More pricey than just a plain smoker tube. If you don’t need all the extras, we’d suggest the next recommendation.