Let’s talk mattress toppers.
Made of memory foam, down alternatives or latex, mattress toppers add cushioning to an old mattress that may have become too firm over time.
So what’s right for you?
Memory foam is popular, thanks to its affordable price and cushy softness. The downside? It can be hot.
For hot sleepers, a down alternative mattress topper might be just right. Latex toppers are great for side sleepers, while 3″ memory foam provides the most back support (in our opinion).
We surveyed the readers of our parenting books to find their favorites—it’s always nice to find out what works well in the real world! We took their suggestions and then did additional research. (When we purchase a mattress topper to test ourselves, we use our own money!).
After several more hours of research comparing features and performance, we think these are the best bets.
FYI: Before you purchase any topper, be sure to measure your bed first. Just because a topper says it fits a full-size or queen size bed, doesn’t mean it actually will fit your mattress. Measure first!
For the best memory foam topper, we picked Linenspa’s 2″ Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper. It combines the best comfort (“like sleeping on a cloud” said one of our parent readers) with a price that easy on the wallet.
What We Liked
• Arrives in small package; expands when removed. That’s great if you need to take this topper to college, since it is easy to transport.
• No odor issues. That’s a common complaint about memory foam toppers—this one is stink-free, according to our research and reader feedback.
• Super soft and comfortable.
• Lightweight at 9.53 lbs.
• Allergy friendly. This memory foam is latex free (but made in a plant that also makes latex foams).
• Wide range of sizes available.
What Needs Work
• No cover available as of this writing.
• Hot. Unfortunately, this is a problem with many memory foam mattress toppers—they trap heat from your body. This bothers some people more than others, of course. Some folks like the extra warmth. Others think it is too hot.
• Too soft for some folks.
• Probably not the best for back support. After our testing and research, we think three inch mattress toppers are better for back support than 2″ models like this one. So if you want a mattress topper for back pain, see the Pure Green latex mattress topper recommended later in this article.
• Durability could be better. We see a few reports form folks who said this memory foam topper cracked after a year or so of use. These were a minority, however. We’re not sure why it cracked after a year’s use for some folks and not others.