Lap desks come in two basic varieties: those with cushions and those without. The latter are wood tables with legs. After surveying our readers and testing out both types with kiddos, we think the wood table lap desks are better for kids.
Well, kids laps can range widely from child to child—most lap desks with cushions are sized more for adults (or teens) than kids.
Wood table lap desks avoid that problem—a child’s legs just slide under the table.
For the best lap desk for kids, we think Sofia + Sam’s Multi Tasking Laptop Bed Tray is the best bet for most children. Here’s why:
What We Liked
• Storage drawer for supplies.
• Easy to use.
• Adjustable table top. Yes, you change the angle, which is most helpful.
• Stopper keeps books or computers from slipping.
• Separate mouse pad area.
• Two slots: one for tablets and another for phones.
What Needs Work
• Legs don’t lock open. That means it can collapse if your child isn’t careful. In real world testing, we didn’t think this was a big drawback . . . but something to be aware of!
• Works better for beds than couches. But then again, most kids are using it on a bed or floor, not a couch in our experience!