When we road test bread pans, we always look for the best performer that is also easy on the wallet. For French bread, we’d suggest this one by Chicago Metallic (Commercial II Non-Stock Perforated Baguette Pan). It performed just as well as pans that cost two or three times the price.
What We Liked
• Nicely crisped crust on bottom!
• Easy to clean thanks to non-stick coating.
• Dishwasher safe.
• Heavy weight aluminized steel.
What Needs Work
• Only works up to 450 degrees. That’s not hot enough for some baguette recipes.
• Durability. The non-stick coating has only so many baking cycles, according to reports we see. For the average baker, however, it should work for several years. Hand-washing should extend the life, in our opinion.