Let’s talk safety before we discuss the best baby balance bikes. Make sure you follow the age and weight guidelines for balance bikes—some of these picks are recommended for use as young as 10 months, others are 12 months.
Also remember that although balance bike makers say these bikes can be used indoors or outside, we would recommend only outdoor use. Why? When used indoors, a baby on a balance bike can easily run into objects that might tumble over on them. This is why we don’t recommend baby walkers: too many injuries. Any device with wheels must be carefully supervised by an adult at all times—and outside, there is less of a chance of that kind of accident.
After testing several baby balance bikes, we ended up crowning Ancaixin’s baby balance bike as the best of the best. With use from 10 to 24 months and a 50 lb. capacity, this bike had the right combination of fun (cushioned seat) and ease of use (quick assembly). Here’s more:
What We Liked
• No tools assembly that just took a few minutes.
• Lightweight. The foam wheels were durable—closer together in back and wider in front for stability.
• Affordable. Even at this price, the seat was nicely padded, which is missing from other bikes we tested.
• Can personalize with decals.
What Needs Work
• Can’t change the seat height. You can’t adjust the seat for a growing child, so that will limit the time this will be used.
• Doesn’t teach much balance. But that’s true for most baby balance bikes—they aren’t so much teaching balance as they are showing kids how to get used to pushing with their feet and using a handlebar to steer.