Massage guns have one advantage over wands—they can last much longer on a charge. Our pick for best Percussion Massager Gun is the RENPHO massage gun (model: RF-GM168-CA). It can last up to 6 hours on a single charge—wands tend to peter out at two hours or less.
Another key feature: deeper tissue massages. Percussion massager guns have more power than wands, so they can provide more relief for deep tissue pain.
Here’s more on why this pick came out on top:
What We Liked
• 20 adjustable speeds. Other guns we tested didn’t have that much choice.
• Carry case which makes it nicely portable.
• Very quiet. We measured the sound of this gun at about 60 decibels—that is the volume level of an average conversation.
• Works well for tight muscles. We liked the heads on this model better than the other massage guns we tested.
• 15 minute auto shut off to save battery (official battery life up to 8 hours. In our testing, it was about 6 hours with varied speeds).
• 4 attachments including a u-shaped accessory for spine, neck and shoulders.
• Protection feature to keep it from being damaged if you apply too much pressure.
What Needs Work
• On the heavy side. At 2.1 pounds, this gun weighs more than the massage wands we tested—and you can feel it. On the other hand, other massage guns in this price range tip the scales at over 3 lbs. in some cases.
• Battery life estimate overly optimistic. The maker claims 8 hours of use when fully charged; it is more like four to six (we got six using varied speeds).
• Tough to use on your back without help from a partner. But that is true for most percussion massage guns.