Let’s talk safety before get to our water beads recommendations. Yes, they are fun—but follow these safety rules.
These small beads grow to pea or marble size when you add water. They should only be used by kids age 3 and up and only with adult supervision. We recommend this as an outdoor activity. You should never use water beads inside in a sink or tub, as they can clog plumbing.
Why not use them indoors? Well, water beads can be hard to clean up—they are slippery, hard to sweep/vaccuum, etc. Take our advice: these are an outside toy!
Don’t soak beads in cold water and then suddenly add warm water. That can cause the beads to break. The water temperature should be consistent if you add more water.
Water beads take time to grow—4 to 6 hours. And sometimes longer.
Use distilled water to make the beads last longer.
MarvelBeads is our pick for best water beads toy. This package contains 20,000 multi-color beads. Here’s more on why we picked this brand:
What We Liked
• Take 3-6 hours to grow to full size.
• Grow to the size of a marble.
• Can be stored when wet in a plastic tub.
What Needs Work
• Beads can break. We didn’t sees any breakage in our tests, but we see some reports that the beads can break during play. That’s why water beads should be used under adult supervision at all times.
• Clear beads can be hard to see. Cleanup can be a challenge if you can’t see all the beads in a tub or play area!